Tuesday, April 7, 2009

St. Patrick's Day

New Haven, 3/15/09

Until a month ago, I'd never been to a St. Patrick's Day parade. That's not all that surprising since I'm not fond of crowds, much less parades, though I've often photographed parade-style demonstrations and in the past few years have looked closely at Memorial Day parades. But I noticed while doing other research that there were Paddy's Day events in my general area on the 14th (Hartford, the state capitol), the 15th (New Haven, home of patrician education) and the 17th (the actual proper date, at New London, center of the New England whaling industry, a couple centuries ago).

Last month I decided to see what might be going on at these parades. For a little while this blog will deal with some of what I saw those three days.

New Haven, 3/15/09

No comments: